SEARCH THE BLOG FOR STARS ALREADY FEATURED

OPEN PICTURES IN ANOTHER TAB AND CLICK ON THE PICTURES TO ENLARGE

Custom Search

Thursday, June 19, 2008

From Banking to Nollywood -- Yomi Fash-Lanso



Mr Oluyomi Fash Lanso


ADDRESS: - Palm Avenue, Mushin, Lagos State.

DATE OF BIRTH: June 7, 1968.

MARITAL STATUS: Married

STATE OF ORIGIN: - Ogun State

LANGUAGES SPOKEN: Yoruba, English and Pigeon English



EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND -

1). U.A.M.C (Eleja), Apapa Road, Ebute-Metta
2). Jubril Martins Memorial Grammar School Iponri
3). University Of Lagos Akoka.


Tell us a little about your childhood, growing up, parents, brothers and sisters?

My growing up was fantastic because I have a good childhood upbringing. Playing dirty at times, with my age mates was one of the interesting fun I can remember. My family consist of my parents, 3 boys and a girl. Being the last child, I was really dotted on. My brothers introduced me to the cinema house and movies. I became a film freak, and despite my father objection to film watching became an ardent disciple thereby becoming interested in film and motion picture as a whole.

What was the first paying job ever that you had?

I worked in a Bank as a Banking officer.

How much were you paid per month and what were the responsibilities?

N2,500.00. I was only taking care of myself, mother and supporting my siblings.

What other jobs did you do outside Acting?

I invest in honest, viable and profitable businesses. I am what so others will call a business tycoon.

What made you go into the Acting career and when did you start Acting (year)?

The world of ‘film making’ got me hook, line and sinker, coupled with inner talent that was struggling within me then. I went through vigorous self teaching research on what acting was all about, via film watching, review magazines, flipping through articles that bother on film acting or film making, and when opportuned, visited film sets/locations. I started acting professionally in February 1995.

Who were your Idols/Models (Actors) in those days?

Whow! They are so many of them from different continents. My Nigerian influences were Moses Olaiya, Ade Love,, Hubert Ogunde, Lere Paimo, and Jab Adu. I also liked watching Jim Kelly, Jim Brown, Franco Nero, John Wayne, Leon Green, Fred Willianson (American actors); Fu Sheng, Cheng Sei, Carer Wong, Jackie Chan, Lo Lei, David Chang, Chen Kua Tai, Chen Kua Chun (chinese actors); Amitabh Bachan, Dhamendra, Pran, Vinod Khanna. Vinod Mehra, Ferozkahy, and Sunil Dutt (india actors).

What was your first role in Theatre, TV or Movies?

My first role was lawyer Tunde Smart, in the movie titled Bekunpe.

What was your major break-through role and in what film, series or play? My first major breakthrough role was as ‘Akintunde’, in the film Omolade.

What were the constraints you had to face and overcome as an up-and-coming young Actor ?

The first was not been able to negotiate my fee because the producer sees you as somebody he or she is trying to helping. They see the talent but no justification for negotiation.

How many films have you been involved with as an Actor to date?

15 FILMS OMOLADE (1995), TWISTED CONNECTION (1997), ORO MA SOKO (2002), ALE ARIWO (2003), OPA AGEMO (2004) and the very recent one TENI NI TENI (2004-08-12).

As a DYNAMIC, OUTSTANDING, 'A'-List Actor, how have you managed to adapt to the different range of roles you have played in your career?

By doing my homework, a lot of research and studying people of different occupation and lifestyle I meet closely. Most importantly, I demystify myself before taking a role.

What is the most awkward or strangest role you have had to take/play in your career and why?

Playing a disabled persons role in Kunle Alajeseku. I wanted to be in the disabled peoples world and feel what they feel every time. The pain and agony they go through silently in my opinion can never be measured. I know because I have had a glimpse and believe me they deserve our care, attention and love.

What film have you been most proud to be involved with so far, and why?

JOMBO. I was proud to take the lead role in the film Jombo because it gave me the avenue to play a bad guy in a really sadistic way, far from how some actors have played the role in the past.

As an 'A'-List Actor yourself, what other 'A'-List Actors or Actresses have worked or collaborated with?
Dele Odule, Bob Manuel Udokwu, Adebayo Salami, Jide Kosoko, Sunday Omobolanle, Taiwo Hassan, Yinka Quadri, Funso Adeolu, Antar Laniyan, Yemi Solade, Saheed Balogun, Omotola Jolade Ekeinde, Faithia Balogun, Poyemi Ayeola, Babatunde Omidina and Sola Sobowale.

Did you at anytime want to quit your Acting career for something else or for a reason, and why (if any)?

I thought of quitting when I was ban from acting by my association (A.N.T.P) for having the effrontery to query the executive committee of non-chalant attitude towards artist welfare, and questioning the reason for the association (A,N,T,P) collecting money from producers before he or she could role camera without any support from the association. I basically felt that the executives in the association ‘ruled’ and didn’t ‘Lead’. The issue of members taking work permit before acting was also inclusive.

What is the motivation for you or what keeps you interested in this career every morning you wake up?

Firsly, because I enjoy what I am doing and its challenging. Secondly, because I strongly believe that better and brighter days are coming soon.

How important are our Nigerian roots, morals, values, knowledge and sense of wisdom to you and your works? Everything that has to do with my roots and culture is very important to me because it is what tells the outside world that I have an identity, and I try as much as possible to show that unique identity and wisdom to the outside world through films.

On the stories, scripts, or screen play of your films, and its impact on the Nigerian/African cultural values (home and abroad), how do you manage to harness, keep and pass them across in your films?

Basically, the three element of entertainment are to inform, educate and entertain, which we so much keep in our works (films) that anyone from any race would not want to learn. The way we dress, the way we speak and the way we relate to our fellow human creature is important to me.

What projects are you working on at the moment and with whom?

JOMBO II, with Binta Ayo Magaji. Another with Dimeji Ijaduade, and another with Bolaji Amosan (Mr Latin) friends with alpha vision.

Where do you see yourself in this career in the next five years?

Highest height with God’s support.

Where do you see the Nigerian movies industry in the next couple of years?

If all various fractured associations could come together under one umbrella then the sky will be a stepping stone not the limit to our peak. fractured When you are not working (Acting, producing, directing or making a film), what do you do or how do you pass the time?

I do a lot of thing, for example visiting places, hanging out with my friends, playing games, visiting the gym, writing, watching films and praying.

What kind of music do you listen to and who is your favourite musician?

Various forms of Music that suits my mood at the time, from High Life, Juju, Fuji, Gospel, R&B to Jazz. Some of the Artists I listen to are Yinka Ayefele, Lionel Richie, R Kelly and Remilekun Amos.

Is there an International Actor (American, British, Australian, African, etc.) you will want to work with if the opportunity presented itself?

MORRIS CHESNUT, DENZEL WASHINGTON, SHEMAR MOORE, MARTIN LAWRENCE, JAMIE FOX, SAMUEL L JACKSON.

What message do you have for your international fans in America, Europe, Africa and its Diaspora?

They should all keep spreading the good news now in the film industry, the emergence of Nollywood, and to stay tight with one another. Remember no matter where we go (Nigerians, Africans, Afro- Americans, Jamaicans, etc), we are brothers. I love you all.

For any reason at all, how would you personally want your fans to remember you?

I just want them to remember me for my good works, what more can a Man want!

11 comments:

  1. only 15, im surprised...

    i like his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOMI IS ONE GUY I DISCOVER IS VERY HUMBLE AND RESPECTFUL . MET HIM IN U.S.A AT ONE OF THE ARTISTES SHOW RECENTLY AND HE AMAZED ME WITH THE ATTENTION HE GAVE MY UPSET DAUGHTER AMONG ALL HIS LOVING FANS. UPTIL NOW MY DAUGHTER ADORES HIM AND NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT "UNCLE YOMI". I HOPE I GET HIS CONTACT NUMBER FOR ME DAUGHTER TO TALK WITH HIM [ NO HIDDEN AGENDA ]. HE WILL BE A GREAT DAD TO HIS KIDS BECAUSE I THINK HE UNDERSTAND KIDS. ALL THE BEST. YETUNDE A .

    ReplyDelete
  3. yomi fash is my number 1 actor

    ReplyDelete
  4. All i can say about him is that he is a real talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dis man has always be my best actor all years.I love many things abt you inluding the way you construct and present ur statement

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must confess i luv u as a man just dat u r married.u r my number one actor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mehn, dis man is good... Pls keep it up...d sky's d start 4 u

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate yomi fash. And like to watch every movie he is involved in. u are such a genius. May Almighty God help you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love any movie i see with Yomi in it. One thing i've always been wondering about is the meaning of Fash-Lanso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I dont know about the Lanso, but his other names are Oluwayomi Ifashola

      Delete
  10. He is my mentor in nollywood, i luv everything about him, so keep it up bros.

    ReplyDelete

Kindly drop your comments (No spamming pls)


Dedicated to the memory of Teslim Olamilekan Suleiman (1992 - 2005) [Click Image to read about him]